NY Beginning Farmer Project
If you are starting a new farm enterprise, or just want to explore your options on-line, be sure to visit the NY Beginning Farmer Project, part of the Cornell Small Farms Program. This site will be your main portal for ideas, videos, contacts, and on-line classes and discussions.
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ontario County Agriculture Program
We are going to give you a lot of good information, support, and referrals as you start into farming. Each year, we help more than 50 new farmers with a wide range of services, including:
- Timely workshops, publications, articles, and clinics addressing farm development issues.
- Research business contacts on your behalf, identify sources of capital and other funding for innovative agriculture-realted projects, and network existing economic development programs related to new farms.
- Educational assistance and consultation for new or expanding farm operations.
- Referrals to appropriate resources and agency programs for all agriculture enterprises – dairy, livestock, field crops produce, pasture, forest-based products, and horticulture.
- Assistance with identifying grants and grant writing for farms, business plan development for agriculture or farm product processing businesses.
- Site visits to provide advice and referrals as circumstances permit.
- Tips on farm and forest tax management, farm labor, agriculture laws and policies, farmland preservation, energy management, and dealing with neighbor pressures on farmland.
- Assistance with developing and accomplishing direct marketing objectives, web site creation, farm market sales, and other innovative marketing plans.
- Telephone consultations for all aspects of farming and rural land management.
Agriculture Economic Development Specialist
Issues Leader for Agriculture and Natural Resources
(585) 394-3977 x 402
(585) 394-3977 x 427
Resource Educator / Agriculture, Horticulture and Natural Resources
(585) 394-3977 x 436
site brought to you by The Ontario County Agricultural Enhancement
Board In cooperation with Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ontario
County, the Finger Lakes Visitors Connection, and Ontario County
Department of Planning. Canandaigua, New York 14424
585-396-4455 or 585-394-3977.